Monday, December 18, 2017

December So Far

We are heavy into that December blur! With enough pauses to still enjoy this super joyful time.

Michael:
will have Christmas Eve and Christmas Day off and we're so happy about that. He's on call New Year's Eve so who knows what that will bring. He wanted to see Coco so we attempted a trip with the boys and I was surprised at how well they did. The family room was already taken at the movie theater but we strapped Bennett into his umbrella stroller and kept the snacks coming and all was well. Michael came home on Friday to an insane household. On Thursday night Westin woke up at 2am throwing up. I cleaned him up then promptly threw up. And then we heard Bennett throw up. It was a long and awful night, followed by a long and awful day. The crazy thing about sickness and kids is how sometimes it doesn't even slow them down, even though they feel sick. So after just one day of not battling the universe, my house was insane. I could tell Michael was almost impressed by the damage level, but I didn't hang around to talk about it and just crawled in bed right when he got home for the rest of the afternoon and night. Luckily the next day we were all feeling better. Michael also set up a new phone for me this week and we are finally adults on our own phone plan together. Baby steps, guys. Residency kinda keeps me feeling in the growing up not grown up stage.

Maddie:
had some primary projects keeping my busy this week, and our ward Christmas party was really fun. After that I had so much fun seeing lots of friends at a black & white Christmas girls night. I stayed out until 11:30 for the first time since, like... yeah, I don't even know. I feel like Michael and I used to stay out until 11:30 a lot but I can't even say that with certainty because #pastlife. Lately I've been feeling this constant hurry-up-and-wait feeling. It comes from feeling SO busy with things that aren't really doable while my kids are awake, and then feeling a little lost as to how to keep ourselves busy and occupied with them now that Bennett is awake all morning with us. I need to fit our home preschool back into our lives. Once the kids are down my time has been full of making some handmade Christmas gifts that I'm trying hard to finish for all our family before Christmas. I had a tight schedule all planned out and would have made it if we didn't catch that stomach bug around here this week. So we'll be having a couple post-Christmas packages sent out but that's ok. I've been working on that new hobby the past couple months and I'm so excited to share them with my family and then start some new projects with it after Christmas. 

Westin:
is loving Christmas shows and songs and parties and games and treats. He keeps wondering when actual Christmas is and we're trying to help him sort that out. He loved seeing Christmas lights tonight but was super grumpy our whole drive home, I still manage to get all bugged when post-bedtime plans aren't met with sweetness and gratitude... then I remember he's 3 and tired and good inside. He's currently asleep in his room with his dad on the floor next to him because bedtime stories wiped them both out. I love them. Westin has suddenly become super conversational on the phone and it cracks me up. My favorite was after a grumpy morning during a breakfast phone call with my mom, when he said, "Grandma, sometimes I get so angry. Does that ever happen at your house?" Or when he was talking to my sister and she said, "We have people coming over to see Christmas lights tonight." And he said, "That's fun. So, what are their names?" And after she told him some he said, "Hey, I have a friend Emma, too" and Ali was just laughing at how independent he sounded. He's also at the stage where I'm constantly surprised and shocked at how much he remembers or infers. 

Bennett:
has had some fun moments playing with Westin lately and I hope there's more of that to come! He likes walking around while holding both of our hands, but no solo steps still. His babble noises are becoming cuter and cuter and so conversational in his tone. He only threw up once when the stomach bug came around, and he was never even sad that day. Except for when I wouldn't get off the couch and he really wanted me to get off the couch. Being sick and being mom is so hard. I always think back on sick days when I was working full time, and how you just stayed home and actually rested and watched movies and ate soup and had a legit sick day. And now they just don't really exist, and motherhood never feels harder to me than those times. Westin would get so sad and scared when I was throwing up so I was trying to tell him I was ok while it was happening, and I immediately thought inside, "This is one of those rough mom moments I just never pictured -- comforting someone else while I'm throwing up, before I go clean their sheets and give them both a bath before I throw up again." Oh man, glad that's behind us. And I feel so grateful it came and went before our Christmas and company happen! So so grateful.

Also, just let me know if you'd like to come to my house and wrap all our Christmas presents because that is far and away my biggest holiday struggle. Thanks, I'll give you treats.
Black and White night.
I had so much fun seeing girls I've met all different ways in Fresno at one fun (and beautifully detailed!) party.


Current scene in Westin's bedroom. No-nap Sundays (which will be ending when we switch to 9:00 church next year!) combined with a late drive to see Christmas lights, and this is what we get around here.

"Hey Benny, high five! Down low. Too slow!" Then so much laughing from both of them.

Sharing pretzels at church. I just love whenever they interact without screaming, so much.

As close as we're going to get to Santa this year. I am totally fine with his aversion to sitting on a stranger. 

My view during my stomach bug day. Bennett would find applesauce packets from the diaper bag and bring them to me, and I'd open them for him while he watched baby songs. Low moments but all survived.

Not an artist. Stared at a picture to draw this. But I was happy that the copying was successful!
The primary kids had fun at our ward Christmas party.

Strapped Bennett up in that umbrella stroller and attempted to go to a movie. We all liked Coco and both boys did great.

Sometimes we find ourselves at the pet store when we've got a morning to kill.




Just looking like a teenager, playing with an empty bottle.

Literally fighting over who gets to poke a mark in our kitchen floor, only big enough for one finger.
That referee role of the mom life is the worrrrrrst but boy do I love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis