Sunday, January 6, 2019

San Diego, Grandparents & Simply on Purpose

New Year's:
On Sunday we left for a last minute trip down to San Diego and explored the Carlsbad area. On the way down we stopped in Long Beach to see the Queen Mary and run around on a pier. Then in Carlsbad we loved Handel's Ice Cream and Pizza Port. The next day we woke up and took the boys to Legoland! Westin has been interested in getting there ever since he once said to me, "That would be cool if Disneyland was made of Legos!" And I said, "Well, there's kind of a place like that actually..." And boy did his eyes get wide. Michael had New Year's off and we were all itching to do something fun after our Christmas at home.

Legoland was so fun for the boys. The park is perfect for 2-6 year olds I think. They loved it! Especially the driving school ride. We also were very ok with the 6pm New Year's countdown and fireworks. Places that understand early bedtime are our jam.

We came home from the hotel and had hot chocolate in the lobby, went to bed exhausted, and spent the next day at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park. I LOVED that place! We loved seeing a baby kangaroo in its mom's pouch, and a baby gorilla taking a back ride too. Then we drove home to Fresno at the same time my parents were driving to Fresno from Cedar. Here's a movie from our trip!


(This is Westin's very favorite song in the world right now.)

Michael:
Went back to work on Wednesday and had a sad case taking out lots of teeth on a three-year-old. He has been busy but he was glad to have a three-day work week after his busy December. On Saturday we went on a date to the temple and then to dinner and it was our first date night in too long!

Maddie:
is just so happy when my parents visit. They are so nice to let me get all the things done while they're around. In the few days they've been here I've been to the dentist, gotten my hair cut and a pedicure, been to the temple twice, went to a parenting conference in the bay area, date night with Michael, and they took down my Christmas. So grateful for their help! My parenting conference was by Simply On Purpose and I learned so much. I brought my conference workbook on my date with Michael the next day and tried to share everything I could remember so we can be on the same page. Her Instagram account, @simplyonpurpose, is so helpful if you're ever feeling lost as to how to respond to your kids. Plus the road trip with Ginny, Emily, and Danielle was so fun! We left at 11am Friday and got home after midnight. Also, I feel more grateful for the temple than I ever have before!

Main conference takeaways:
See the good in your kids and TELL them when you see it.
Ignore everything you don't want reinforced.
Change your phrasing to positives -- phrases, consequences, attitudes. Don'ts should be Dos,
and parents should add positive to their kids life, not threats or negativity.
Example from our house:
We're changing: "Hurry and get ready for bed or you won't have time for a story"
to: "If you're ready for bed in 5 minutes you can have TWO stories tonight"


Westin:
loves when Michael flies the new drone! We like to go to the field next to our neighborhood and Michael chases us around with his new Star Wars looking toy. He misses school and doesn't understand why that has disappeared for a couple weeks. He's in heaven with grandma and grandpa here. We've also started hard core night training because we ran out of pull ups and I just don't want to buy anymore. It's... not going great, but we've gotta figure it out sometime. I'm setting my alarm to take him every three hours but for some reason we're still not having completely dry nights yet. I've already noticed a difference in his behavior when I just notice the good and thank or praise him for it. Kids are sweet.

Bennett:
was a rockstar on our road trip drives and hotel nights. He's so funny. Michael said he had tons of energy in nursery today. He loves to draw squiggly lines and chase Kitty. He still has a language of his own, Grandma and Grandpa are learning to interpret it this week. Potty training is in our near future, but it sure ain't tomorrow. My favorite thing is that he always chooses me to put him to bed and kisses Michael good night multiple times to tell him, "see ya dad, I want mom right now." It's my favorite little moment of my day when he holds my face while I sing Silent Night, then he gives the best hug and kiss and says "Luh Yoo" in his little Bennett language. 

More pictures from the week!

Queen Mary

Belmont Veteran's Pier 







Sometimes kids just look like teenagers and it always makes me do a double take.



Family Pics, 6th Anniversary, Big Sur Trip, First Cross Stitch, Hamilton, Taylor Swift, Tahoe, Arizona, Hawaii


It's officially orange season! And we've had two rounds of fresh orange juice to prove it.
The orchard by our neighborhood is the best part of living where we live!

Ralphie from Simply On Purpsoe
"Do not pay attention to anything you DO NOT want reinforced."
We've got a lot of mean words to start fully ignoring around here :)

Danielle, Emily (my roommate from BYU!, me, Ginny
All of our kids are in the same preschool class.

Walking home from drone time! Bennett "hid" behind every tree to scare us :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis