Sunday, May 6, 2018

Our Week: Sick and Slow

Michael:
Started Internal Medicine this week. He works a late night every four days, but the other days are a pretty normal schedule. And no weekends! Hallelujah. He'll be on this through the end of his second year (through June). He's the only one of us who stayed healthy all week, so good job, Michael. Teach us your secrets.

Maddie:
Spent the beginning of the week cleaning up throw up, the middle of it throwing up, then the end of it cleaning up throw up again. The worrrrst. Especially when it's in the car, #amIright.
I'm just going to say this once and then I'll never talk about it again -- Westin threw up SO much in the car that it even got on me. And the steering wheel. And everything between. Definitely unlocked a new mom level there.

Westin:
was sick on Tuesday, seemed fine after that, then was sick again on Saturday. Poor guy. He has the BEST memory. I am constantly shocked at what he remembers and what he puts together. I love it, and it also makes me seriously evaluate my patience and the way I respond. When Michael was putting Westin to bed one night this week Westin said, "I'm not brave to go to sleep right now, can you give me a blessing?" And that just warmed my heart because two Sundays ago I taught sharing time in Primary and told a story about a girl who needed help being brave, so she asked her dad for a priesthood blessing. We haven't talked about that story since, so when he brought it up to Michael I just suddenly realized that any teaching moment I can find matters. The seeds I plant go somewhere. It can feel like they don't sink in at times, but some of the ways to measure what he learns are far down the road and too important to give up on, even when times are tired.

Bennett:
was the first to get sick this week, on Monday. He threw up once and was whiny that day, but seemed to shake it off fast. He loves to bring his toy turtle outside to see the real turtle and it's the cutest. Our walks are one of his favorite things and I'm not ready for the heat to change our routine. He is so into pretend play with our play kitchen and loves to feed me pretend pie. He's always very proud of that pie, and since I'm still only eating sugar once a week (last week of my challenge!) I am always very grateful for the gesture. Bennett is a soft-hearted sweet boy who does not like to disappoint anyone. If he feels at all like he is being reprimanded or disciplined he immediately breaks down into tears and needs a huge hug. Even when we are as kind as possible when we help him learn how to be soft, or not throw food, or whatever else an 18-month-old does. Tender little kid. This is probably the first week that I would say he was a daddy's boy instead of a mama's boy. As much as that breaks my heart, I love watching my three boys interact. But you guys, it does break my heart! At least I held onto him a few months longer than Westin. Cuties.


Bennett is the worst at eating lollipops.
He needs a full-time assistant to manage the mess through the whole experience,
but it's worth it because he's so happy about eating it.

Our Saturday adventure was kind of a bust because three of the four of us were still getting over being sick this week.
We weren't the best hikers or explorers this week, but we'll get back out there next weekend!

I turned the camera around and Bennett thought he was pretty cute to look at.

Sweet little smile.

Daniel Tiger. We've mostly cut out TV time from our week but I decided to bring back Daniel Tiger into our life because, emotional development. We need the "When you feel so mad, that you want to roar" song frequently over here... 

You'd think we were watching yoga, but we're not. This is just Bennett's jam sometimes.

Westin likes to take his balance bike for walks... I think he'll work up to riding it soon :)

This Costco box is the favorite toy at our house right now.
Usually it's an "ice cream truck" and they love to be pushed around the house in it.

Turtle, visiting turtle. 

My new favorite favorite ice cream.

Getting that California emissions check.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis