Monday, November 20, 2017

Cedar Time

Michael:
missed us! But we're back now and all is well. He was so busy at the hospital while we were gone. I made some food and bought some food for him to have on hand when we were in Utah, and 95% of it is still in the fridge and freezer. So... next time I'm not going to stress about that! He was just hardly home. On Saturday Michael took us to a super fun place that I had never heard of. We visited a nearby fish hatchery with lots of play equipment and interactive displays to teach you about fish farming, and then tons and tons of fish to look at with free food to give them. Westin loved feeding the fish so much. We'll definitely be back. Bennett just wanted to swim with them... we keep waiting for him to develop some survival skills but he's still ready to go head first into water, off beds, over couches, just anywhere really. Gotta keep a close watch on that kid.

Maddie:
loved being at my parents house. I also feel like we're getting a good routine of our 8.5 hour drive between here and there. It was pretty smooth both ways. I get so much done when I'm in Cedar City -- you can seriously get anywhere in that town in like 6 minutes, it's magic. I had fun running errands with my mom, eating my favorite tacos, getting pedicures and dinner with DaNae, staying up too late eating snacks and watching TV like I was in high school again, and watching my boys love Grandma and Grandpa. We loved being there, and loved combing back to see Michael. I have the best people!

Westin:
loved hanging out with grandma and grandpa, and found out how great grandpa is at drawing. He started making specific requests (see the dragon below) and I just love that my dad has always been the best doodler ever. We are trying to figure out the best way to handle Westin's toddler anger, but when he's sweet he's oh so sweet. His vocabulary is huge and his little expressions are my favorite. I feel grateful that he is able to communicate with us so well. I just wish he wanted to communicate more pleasant things some of the time instead of previously mentioned toddler anger... :)

Bennett:
became way more mobile just during the week at my parent's house. Something about a new space to explore, I think. He also stopped wanting me after we were there about four days, and would just cling to grandpa if I tried to hold him. It's fine, Bennett, I only do LITERALLY EVERYTHING for you, but go ahead and replace me :) Grandpa is great, I get it. He used to be a total mama and grandma boy, but now it's all about Michael and grandpa. This is directly related to weaning, I'm pretty sure, and it makes me feel like I have to nurse my last child until they're 5. I'm not going to do that. But I do wish I could stay the favorite around here a little longer. Bennett has such a funny trick of "playing dead" when I scare him, just laying down flat and staring at the ceiling with a face that looks like he thinks he's hiding from me. My parents and I just cracked up at him doing that so much this last week.

We loved our Utah time! Now we're ready to have some Thanksgiving and Westin birthday time. This week will be a party!

Michael was putting Westin to bed and then it was quiet. I found these three like this. I knew that toddler mattress by Westin's now-open crib would be a Michael trap. Westin usually wakes up on it, so it's a necessary precaution.


Fish hatchery! It was so much fun.




Bennett wore his pajamas there... I pick my battles, and pick my efforts.
It's getting chilly and they're his warmest clothes, so, easily justified.

Super heroes are grandpa's doodling specialty.



Instagram:
I road-tripped my two little boys to my hometown this week, and this is why. Taking them through the new Cedar City LDS Temple made me feel profoundly grateful.


I think I see my hometown and the years growing up there with rose-colored glasses at this point, but that honestly just makes me feel extremely lucky. Basically, I’m obsessed with Cedar City, even though I haven’t been there longer than sporadic short visits in ten years.

Temples represent God’s love to me. This one is filled with paintings of red mountains and columbine flowers that make me feel at home, next to mahogany from Africa and stone from Israel that remind me how home has become a stretched out term to me. Temples keep me centered on eternity in a world lost in the now. They have shown me heartbreak, and comfort, confusion, and answers — just like life. But unlike life, they provide a pause.

My boys won’t remember walking through today. But I wanted them to come and see and feel something. Bennett stared at chandeliers and Westin rubbed smooth large doors. I hope they grow to love hometowns and childhoods and temples and God. And mostly that they know He loves them individually, too.
 


We loved meeting Jamie and Finley for lunch! It meant so much to me that she drove down from
Northern Utah that weekend and took time to meet up with us.
Pizza Factory and good friends. That's been a favorite combo for as long as I can remember.


These two have just grown so much since we were last together in Fresno!


Sisters <3

Red mountains = best mountains

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis