Monday, November 27, 2017

Westin turns three!

Michael:
was on call Wednesday and Friday, but he had Thanksgiving off. He also had Saturday off, which was Westin's birthday, so all things considered his schedule felt pretty lucky this week. He's officially Bennett's favorite parent and I'm realizing we will just always need a baby around here if I want to be anyone's favorite. Once they're big enough to wrestle someone, Michael is the winner. Well, it was a good year of having a mama's boy. I'll go enjoy my stolen moments of peace and quiet now when both boys are following Michael around the house! On Friday Michael and I built a play kitchen for Westin to wake up to on his birthday and it was fun. One of our first dates together at BYU (after pseudo-dating at the Jerusalem Center) was building an IKEA dresser for my apartment. It was fun to remember that and build something for our little birthday boy together.

Maddie:
started getting sick on Tuesday and it just became worse all week until today. It kind of sent me into an adrenaline rush of pushing through because I knew if I didn't do Thanksgiving, we wouldn't have Thanksgiving, and I'd be sad all day. So Westin and I made food all day Wednesday and again on Thursday morning, then we had our own little Thanksgiving feast together. It was fun, even though we missed family. A Costco pumpkin pie for 4 people is a little overwhelming. But, you know, nothing we can't handle with time :) I was so excited for Westin to wake up on his birthday. He has seemed 3 to me for a while, so this birthday didn't make me emotional. He has been so excited for this day for a while, so I was just excited for him. My brother's dog passed away this weekend and I have been so sad for their family. They got their dog while I lived close to them in Utah, and then I lived with them for almost a year right before I got married. Seeing the pictures of them saying goodbye to their sweet Sprocky just made me cry and it was one of the times that I feel so bad about being too far away from family to do much for them.

Westin:
woke up Saturday and loved opening a new firetruck from Grammy and Papa. He didn't even really notice the new kitchen, which looking back, is because I should have somewhat wrapped it. He was just focused on the presents around it and didn't even register that it was there. But he's been playing with it ever since we pointed it out and it's fun to see him in his element at home. When we drive to Cafe Rio (like twice a month, let's be real) we pass an Applebee's and Westin always says "There's an apple on that restaurant!" When he found out we could eat anywhere he wanted to on his birthday he immediately chose the apple restaurant, and loved that they sang to him. Applebee's, what Westin's dreams are made of? His close second pick was the "statue horse" restaurant (P.F. Chang's) and I was so crossing my fingers that it would slide into first place in the end. Maybe next year.

Bennett:
LOVES animals and was in heaven with Rosie the golden retriever we watched all week. She was our favorite dog we've watched yet. (Do I always say that? This one really was.) Bennett loved to just cuddle her and follow her around and be by her as much as possible. She went home tonight and we were all sad to see her go. He's starting to stand on his own quite a bit, and when he finally takes those first steps we are going to be so excited for him. He's such a sweetheart, and is usually only ever angry if he's hungry or being changed. Changing Bennett's diaper or clothes feels like my workout these days, he's so strong... and uncooperative. But sweet.


I love these boys. Seems like a rare moment when they'll both just hang out like this for a few minutes.

Westin and Rosie 
Westin decided he wanted a fire and s'mores for his birthday,
so he blew out sticks instead of candles and roasted marshmallows instead of cake.



Applebee's birthday ice cream. After they sang their little song to him (which he listened to with staring wide eyes and slight confusion) he said, "That wasn't the Happy Birthday song..." which made me laugh. 

Bennett doesn't like noodles, and Westin doesn't like mashed potatoes. These are confusing traits to me.




Gate goes up when dogs come around and these two are constantly calling for a lift over.

Found them relaxing like this. Rosie's the only dog who has managed to be allowed on our couches.
I'm telling you, she really won us over.

How I frequently find my phone (...Bennett...)

See my note about Michael being the favorite parent above.

I know no one's Thanksgiving food pictures look good to anyone else, but I had to document this.
We had a smoked turkey breast, mashed potatoes and gravy, homemade rolls, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, spinach apple salad, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie.
And we're still eating it.

Toddler Thanksgiving verdict:
Three rounds of sweet potato casserole.
No mashed potatoes or turkey or stuffing, please.



Rosie liked to sleep right here and it almost 100% alleviated the anxiety I get when Michael is at the hospital overnight.
Should we get a dog? Talk me into it. Or talk me out of it. 


Yes, we went to Taco Bell for dinner the night before Thanksgiving after cooking all day. And this wall made me happy.

Someone diagnose my dryer.
And then tell me why we've had more washer/dryer issues
in our 18 months here than we had in 4 years in our last place. 
Just taking a ride together around the kitchen in a Costco box. I was good for like two spins around the room before I was dizzy and couldn't breathe, and Westin was so disappointed. I'd try to explain I was sick, and he just kept saying
"But why? Why did you get sick?" And sometimes you're just like, "Dude, I don't know!" to those toddler questions.



He dumped out his entire toy box (which he has never done) so I was bugged and told him he had to go clean up his room.
I looked down the hall a little while later and saw him just sitting in the empty toy box playing.
I snapped (what I thought was) a sneaky pic and I hear him call out, "So, who you gonna send that to?"
Made me stop and contemplate what it must feel like living in a well-documented childhood generation.... what do you do.

Our friend Emma invited us to her friend's turkey farm on Monday and it was such a fun outing.
We just tried to not think too hard about the life of a turkey at a turkey farm this time of year...



Sweetest little chicks!




The bedtime ritual turned suspiciously quiet and then I found these three.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis