Monday, July 10, 2017

Billboards

I had the distinct thought as we crossed into Tennessee that I was thinking more on this part of our cross-country drive than usual. I mean, the fact that I thought about thinking is proof of just that.

Then I noticed it. There were no billboards along this freeway. Nothing but the green of the trees, the blue of the sky, the cars and pavement. No bright distractions, larger than life food photos, or invitations to "take the next exit and turn left" when all I really need to do is go straight.

Once I realized the simple source of the notable difference in my drive, I got distracted thinking about distractions. Being mindful today takes so much effort. Magazine covers and candy bar choices stealing even the smallest moment of potential pause. Pop-up ads always... well, popping up. So many unanticipated contenders for our focus at any given moment.

I'm raising babies in a new kind of chaos, and I want to fight to keep their world simple. They deserve space at home and in their mind to explore who they are. They deserve to navigate life without "billboards" whenever possible. We all deserve that. It's just a matter of figuring out how and focusing on why.

Because more often than not, all we really need to do is go straight.

---
This post is part of my 8-minute memoir series, following the prompts from author Ann Dee Ellis. You can read more about the project here. This series is an effort to keep writing in my routine, keep a record of life, and keep my spirits high. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis