Monday, January 20, 2020

Grandma and Grandpa Days

We were so lucky to have my parents here all week. The boys are in heaven with grandparents around. I was grateful that they let me keep on with my Clean Simple Eats recipes the whole time they were here -- they were good sports. We had some recipe winners but also some rough moments too (looking at you, cinnamon roll oatmeal). Westin loved walking to school and back with my dad each day. They loved stories with grandpa. We went to the zoo all together on Saturday, and had a pizza & movie night (finally watched the live action Aladdin, and I have to admit it was much different than I expected). We are still keeping up with some new years resolutioning around here and I am learning that the basics seriously change everything. I don't know why that's so hard to learn. I've only listened to thousands of talks and meetings in life about how important the basics (daily prayer/mediation, daily scriptures, intentional time with each other, etc) are. Why is it so hard to drink all the water you're supposed to while reading to your kids enough while meditating frequently while getting dinner on the table while being home and still getting out while giving your kids structured building activities while letting them have free play time while eating healthy while getting outside while letting your kids be bored sometimes while fostering their relationship while letting their relationship be what it is while getting enough sleep while treasuring moments to hold your baby while getting something done while being present while constantly planning...
Oh, that's why.

But I was cutting up an onion today and realized that really truly, this is what I've always wanted my life to be. That doesn't mean I love all parts of it, and it doesn't mean I don't want other things. But it does mean that I'm really grateful for just so, so much.

My favorite moment of the whole week was during the last 20 minutes of church, when I'd been carrying Camden around in my arms and I'd done a thousand things that morning. Getting from point A (three kiddos in bed) to point B (husband off to the hospital, parents on the road home to Utah, three kiddos clean and in church clothes and fed and primary set up and sacrament meeting accomplished and talking with all new primary callings people and getting primary started) felt like a marathon and suddenly there was 20 minutes left, the little baby in my arms had fallen asleep, everything in my control was taken care of, and I went to the mother's lounge, turned on the chapel microphone to hear Sunday School, turned out the lights, and listened to the lesson as I rocked my sleeping baby, just the two of us alone. Camden is my little light right now. My simple in the big change. My sweet through the crazy. It's probably not a secret that it would have been really exciting to have a girl after two boys. But now when people make three boy comments (because they sure do, from pregnancy through now), I just make it a point to tell them I am so thrilled with this life. There is no one but Camden who should be here with me right now and I love him with all my heart. Boys are loud and a lot and always hungry. But oh man, I love them and I love having a baby right now.

He is six months old today, and I didn't realize that until this moment, and I could cry about it if I just let myself. But we'll just focus back on all that grateful stuff I was saying before instead.

Hitting the streets with my crew.
I am now a full on power-walking mom for a few reasons,
and these guys think biking by me is way more fun than a power walk.

Popcorn and Book of Mormon movies.

Grandpa walked Westin to school and back every day this week,
and Westin was in heaven. He loved stopping to watch the tractors...
although we are still heartbroken that this is where our beloved orange orchard used to be.

I love this stage with sweet Camden. Such a smiley sweet soul.

Grandpa has lots of funny videos up his sleeve.

It was too quiet for too long, so I asked Bennett what he was doing from the other room.
"I don't know!"
So I went and checked on him and he immediately tossed my phone to the side on the couch.
Then I found over 20 pictures and videos that look like this, haha.
I know every parent has had that experience, but it was my first time because Westin would NEVER do that.
They are so different.

If Bennett needed glasses, I think we'd legitimately get him the same size as Michael.

Looked out over my kitchen counter to this view.
Bennett is just in his own happy, funny, always-a-party world.

So many stories with sweet grandpa.

Always building! These magnets are the best toy in our house, followed by our duplos.
I legitimately wonder if we wouldn't be better off trading ALL our toys for more magnets, duplos, and books.
That's all we need in this play world.

This made me cry laughing.
I would absolutely, absolutely do this.
Ask me how many times I have grabbed my sister's ankle in a public restroom.

This too. Mom life is rough.

I told Westin this was the last time I'd buy him lettuce at the giraffes at the Fresno zoo.
He's never dared to feed the giraffes in our 3.5 years here. But once he realized it was his final shot,
he fearlessly went up and fed those giraffes that romaine.

Ridin' dirty at the zoo. This is going to be real life before I know it.
I'm not ok with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis