Sunday, December 11, 2022

That time we got a DOG.

We did it.

We got a dog!

I can hardly believe it. I've wanted a dog my entire life, and we just knew we needed to be on the other side of moves and babies to make it happen. We found a great golden retriever breeder just 15 minutes from our house with a Christmas litter due and I knew it was just time to do it. Golden retrievers have always been our favorite dog to babysit and have been the best fit for us. Fully aware I'll be vacuuming OFTEN and that's ok.

We had a lot of logistics to work out for this to happen, but it was so fun to see it all play out! We got a babysitter for the little kiddos, dropped Westin off at a friend's house to play for a bit and then go to their basketball game together, then Michael and I went to meet the litter of puppies. We were able to choose first from the females because I happened to email the breeder before they'd even announced the pregnancy so we were luckily the first deposit.

It's really hard to choose a puppy out of a litter of cute puppies... this sweet dog mom had 5 boys and 11 girls. So many pups. We played with the 6 girls for about 45 minutes before deciding on one. We narrowed it down to 2 pretty quickly, and in the end chose the most laid back puppy of the bunch. Heaven knows I won't ever complain about my dog being "too chill." And laid back is relative -- she's still a wild thing :) 

We took her straight to my sweet neighbor's house, who actually has two older golden retrievers and volunteers with them as therapy dogs. She played with her for an hour while we waited for Westin to get home from his basketball game. Then we told them we had an early Christmas surprise for them and gave them the first clue to a treasure hunt. The first few clues were around the house, then it led them out to the backyard for almost 10 more clues to buy us some time. As soon as they went out there with Michael (and our sweet babysitter who was nice enough to stay and film) I called my neighbor and she carried the puppy down and put her in a box under our tree. Just a couple minutes later the boys found their last clue telling them to look under the tree, and they came inside.

They opened the box with squeals of pure joy and just kind of a disbelief that she was really truly ours. We've watched a lot of dogs in their days and it's hard to believe that this one is here to stay!

We tried out Penny, Maple, and Luna all day and Luna stuck. Even after we learned it was the most popular dog name in the country, haha. I just laid in bed one night thinking of names I'd be ok with letting the boys choose from and thought Luna was such a cute name, with no idea it was so popular. It's just fun to finally name a girl around here!

This weekend was a lot of cuddling, and Michael slept on the couch with her for her first few nights as well as stayed with her during church. She's going to get the hang of sleeping in her crate soon, but for now we're easing her into things around here. I can't imagine going from sleeping with 10 other puppy siblings to being alone in a new place, so we're giving her a few nights of just knowing she's safe and loved before we figure out a routine around here. My rugs are put away... my shopping and wrapping are done... it's time to just give this puppy the crazy amount of time she requires :) Such a special Christmas surprise for these cute boys. She's going to be a good girl, we've just got work to do before we get to that point! Haha and I know I don't even know the extent of it because this is all new. But it sure is fun, too. 

Turned around to giggling and found this cutie holding mistletoe ready for a Christmas kiss.
Just seriously one of my all time favorite life moments.
He's so stinking cute.

Home from our cold school drop off & walk and ready for a round of Cheerios.


Checking out the light snow we had.

My lunch dates!
I love that Michael is home most Wednesdays.


These crazies.

Employee Christmas gift at Comma Copywriters was a shipment of fresh salsas and that is just very much my love language. I had so many yummy lunches all week with this line up.

My baby isn't looking so baby anymore.
Not allowed.

Driving home our new PUPPY!
Hardly seems real.

I teared up.
She is a long time coming.

She fell asleep.
Even with this awkward hold.
Such a little thing.

The boys were SO surprised! I have a video I need to edit. I'll add it to this post later.

They did a treasure hunt and found her under our tree, and they were just so shocked she was really ours.
So, so sweet.

They're all excited.
But this one... this one is our animal lover.

Neighbor friends could not get enough of her either! 

We tried out the names Maple, Penny, and Luna all day.
Luna stuck!





Immediately put my wool rug away.
Have since put this woven tree skirt away.
Puppies, man.

A little puppy cuddling and Latter-day kids movies before church.
Complete with Bennett's sunglasses.

She is just a cozy little thing.
8 weeks old and really sweet.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis