Monday, March 16, 2020

Back to NOT Reality

We pulled into Fresno on Monday night. The drive that day was not our smoothest -- we took an earlier, longer break than normal to catch up with my friend Denise in Las Vegas (which was so fun! I worked with her back in my Imagine Learning days), and then Camden once again cried as we approached the Boron exit. I never want to see the Shell station of Boron, California ever, ever again. Ever. I didn't even get the other boys out, just quickly fed Camden then made it to Chick-Fil-A in Bakersfield. Camden had a huge blow out while there, and the wipes were left in the car thanks to the quick change in Boron. One-parent road trip stops are the worst part of those drive days, but I really love the actual driving. And Westin and Bennett were so, so great. 

They fell asleep 90 minutes from home, and stayed asleep while I completely unpacked. It was so good to see Michael and be home with him! Then we transferred the boys to their beds and the next day Westin didn't even remember it. He asked me if daddy was at work when we got home, and I told him that daddy had gotten him out of the car and put him to bed. He thought it was so funny that he didn't even remember seeing Michael.

I loved seeing Westin walk his cool walk back to school on Tuesday, and a few of his friends gave him hugs as he got to his classroom. He loves his teacher and friends and school SO much and it makes me happy. Bennett was excited to be back with his speech therapist this week, too. He loves giving her a big hug when he sees here and when we leave. She says he's doing so well.

Michael's cough is getting better, and he's happy to have us home with him. Now we are just entering this weird social-distancing world that collided with that moment when you've eaten all your food before a vacation and planned on eating all your cupboards because you're moving soon. Which means I go back and forth between calmly resigning myself to just eating all the randomness in our house over the next few weeks to stress-planning a trip to Costco in which I load all three of my kids up to get there 45 minutes before the doors open and buy all the things. I switch between these two plans every 10 minutes or so, which brings me to my shout out that this yoga app is currently free since we're all staying home and becoming big balls of anxiety.

Sunday was a really great day between all my internal anxiety. I loved home church together, and the sacrament together, and seeing Benny start to sing songs with us and hear Westin's sweet prayers. We did a little object lesson with pepper/dawn dish soap to teach both the importance of washing hands and relating it to making good choices to keep the Holy Ghost's protection with you.

I can't think too hard about the fact that Michael spends all day every day at the hospital. I'm just going into this week hoping to connect with my kiddos and make the best of our extra time together, and maaaaaybe spring clean and organize all the things. Maybe. This quickly changing situation felt so weird from Friday on.

I'm so curious what next week's blog post will look like. Normally I have a pretty solid guess but at this rate, who knows what life is going to look like in the coming weeks. I'm grateful that we are so minimally affected by such a huge thing, and I recognize how privileged that is. I hope we can do some good this week.



This doesn't look as yummy as it was, but we celebrated pi day with
homemade pizza and a last-minute frozen pie. Westin chose cherry.



Home church after party

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis