Sunday, August 16, 2020

Feeling More At Home

 

Michael:
has been at work for 4 weeks! That feels like a nice little benchmark to hit. It's going really well. The boys love that his schedule is pretty standard now and they don't have to keep relearning it all the time! He took me on a date Saturday and it was so fun. A bike ride on the trails that run from our house, by the elementary school, to the Power Trail, which is a bike trail that connects just SO much of Fort Collins. We rode a couple miles up to a farm-to-table restaurant and then walked around afterwards to check out their gardens and chickens. They also had lots of other stores around to look at, and it was such a cute area. Then we rode our bikes on home through the trails again, with tons of bunny sightings and chatting about all the things three boys don't really let you chat much about. Dates are the best. He also took us all to tour some gardens earlier that day, and then we went to a local ice cream parlor that a neighbor had given us a gift certificate to. It's been around for a while. Westin won with his Huckleberry ice cream order, so delicious. Everyone wears masks here and takes social distancing seriously. So, even though we're finally getting out a bit more, there are always reminders that life is not normal right now. And I know we're all getting more and more anxious for knowing when it won't feel like that anymore.

Maddie:
had two afternoons this week where the boys played at our neighbor's house while Camden slept, and I painted away while watching Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist. Painting requires a special kind of show -- those ones that you don't need to give your full attention to but you need something going on to keep you company. Enter Fuller House. I had been listening to a podcast about book publishing because things are gearing up with my project with Kindal. That is honestly my number one motivator -- tied with the fact that Camden will soon be mobile -- in busting out projects as quickly as I can and then moving on to more important things. Kindal and I have spent countless hours for countless weeks on this book and I'm so excited to see it get off the ground soon. We're aiming to get it in Easter baskets next spring! Our date this week fueled my soul more than I can even communicate. We need to get better at weekly date nights. School has always been a hold up with that because I felt guilty paying a babysitter so often. But honestly, we're to the point that I'll feel guilty for being the mom that comes around who doesn't go on date nights more than I'll feel guilty about the babysitting investment. Priorities, people.

Westin:
is a bike-riding, connect-four playing, reading machine! He doesn't want to read books to me, but I don't want him to lose all his awesome progress. So, he reads a book to me to earn 5 games of Connect Four. He also wins more of those games than I'd like to admit. We're to the point that if I'm playing Connect Four while thinking about furniture purchases and painting projects, he wins. But if I'm fully invested and thinking about Connect Four, I can usually take him. But he's five, so... not sure what that says about our future. We went to the library for the first time since March and the boys loved picking out some books. We'll probably go weekly again even though it'll just be returning and choosing books and no story times or hanging out. But it's something. Ok, I don't even know if I'm supposed to write this but I'm going to because I keep laughing about it. Westin has reached the age where we're feeling like he should be fully independent in the bathroom department. He's a perfectionist, and hates change, and hates when his hands (or anything...) is dirty, so... he'd much prefer an assistant rather than taking care of business by himself any day. But we just told him what needed to be done and that he's on his own for all jobs that involve toilet paper now. Well, the next few days he'd get really grumpy every time he went to the bathroom. "This is the worst... I can't believe I have to do this..." (Similar to many, MANY thoughts I've had while changing diapers or doing exactly what he's doing. FOR THREE LITTLE BUMS A DAY, EVERY DAY, just saying.) As a side detail, Westin is super birthday-minded. Always talking about whose is next, what dessert he wants, what meals we'll eat for our birthdays, etc. So, yesterday, during a moment of particular grumpiness coming from his unwanted independence, I heard Westin yell from our bathroom, "Ugh, this is the worst... -- 'Mama, when it's my birthday you have to wipe my bum!'" And we just died laughing. 

A new family birthday tradition?

No.

Bennett:
Oh Benny boy! You love cooking with me, so much more than usual lately. Yay for kitchen islands, it's all I dreamed it would be. Especially if it had barstools. But I'm learning my purchase cycle is a week or two of really thinking about it, a week of searching, then a week of knowing what I want before I actually just bite the bullet and buy it. Give or take a few weeks for each step. So, no bar stools yet BUT he loves pushing a chair over to the island. We've made cookies every Sunday because our ministering lists are pretty long and those boys are huge helpers. Who needs to get the Bosch out if Bennett holds the mixers while Westin holds the bowl and I just keep adding ingredients? It's great! They're in it for the cookie dough and honestly, same. Bennett loves the bunnies in our yard, loves playing at our neighbor's house, loved going on a date to Costco with daddy on Saturday, and loves to bring me tons of rolly polys (potato bugs, if you're from Southern Utah and I am) and have me count them with him. Counting is a slow and steady milestone with this cutie. I just want to put it on record that I've given more patience than I ever knew I had to this teaching process. Let it be known, this is one of my current shaping experiences. He calls seven "eleven" every time and misses 8 and 9, but other than that we've about got to 10. I think we're learning what else is going to maybe come with his speech delay but I just don't want to do anything more than our best efforts each day with lots of love right now. We can learn more about what we need to worry about later, but for right now, families are all just doing what they can to get through this weird time.

Camden:
my cute baby boy. He screamed from his crib because he'd rolled onto his stomach and hated it and couldn't get back over this week. His mobility is really behind but I look at his progress and not where he's at, and I see steady progress all the time. It's just slow and on his own timeline and it's ok. Bennett looked at some family photo albums this week and thought all the baby Westins were baby Camdens. They really do look so much alike, I love it. Camden started a new thing this week where he just screams when I try to nurse him before bed, so I don't, and then he cries and cries at midnight for a late night feeding. Uncool. I'd be happy to drop the bedtime feeding and be down to mornings only, but if he's going to wake up in the night again I'd rather he just nurse before going to bed. But slowly and steadily we're finishing up our nursing journey.

How many times have I said slow and steady in this post. Speaks volumes about this stage of life.

The House:
I want to start documenting what we're accomplishing step by step, so the house is getting weekly shout outs now! First two weeks: All kitchen cabinets painted and shelves lined. Next week: Right side of family room done. This week: Finished the left side of the family room shelving and cabinets, plus the trim on that side, plus the walls of my entry way and hallway and part of our mudroom. After I paint the wall behind the shelves, reinstall them, paint the final wall and some trim, the kitchen/living area will be almost done! We also ordered a table/chairs for our eat-in kitchen spot, and a bed for our room. Our room is the most un-done spot in the house -- currently just a mattress on the floor and we're living in the guest room, which is where all our bedroom furniture landed in the move.

Oh moving. It's a process... just so, you guessed it, slow and steady.




Butterfly House




Wannabe Stowaway on Camden's Stroller Wheel



You can barely see it, but the sun looked like such a crazy red dot with the smoke from the fires near us.
This salad was so good! I ordered it all because the menu said it had pickled watermelon rinds in it,
which had me like whaaaaaat,
but then those weren't in it and I never even noticed because it was so tasty.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis