Sunday, August 30, 2020

Online Kindergarten and Preschool

Michael:
rode his bike to work for the first time this week, making his 5-minute commute a 10-minute commute. Whaaaat? Sometimes I still can't believe this is real life. We both took a trip to buy color on Saturday. Him: Plants. Her: Paint. He added lots of black-eyed Susans and lavender and Russian sage to our front and side yard. We like to ask each other lots of opinion questions about yard stuff and house stuff when the truth of the matter is, I just don't really have an opinion or notice much outside and he just doesn't really have an opinion or notice much inside. This set up has it's pros and cons :)

Maddie:
made a huge master project to do list that I'm going to try and bust out by November 1, because I want to enjoy the holidays!! And I want to be able to follow Camden around when we get to that stage where you just follow your kid around. Oh that stage. He's been quite unhappy lately but this is my paragraph not his, but oh we'll get to you, Cam Cam. I bought some power tools this week.... and I'm really excited about it. Miter saw, nail gun, jig saw... wall treatments are happening. I blame Instagram DIYers for "empowering" me when we all know things will NOT be as easy as they make it look. But we're going to try! First some board and batten in the dining room and a shiplap wall in our main bedroom. And Michael started talking about building something for some grape vines to grow on.
Like I said, inside outside mindsets.

Westin:
played played played with neighbor friends this week. On Saturday night we went to a neighborhood birthday party where the kids ate pizza and went on a scavenger hunt to find a piƱata (watching them all hold on to hula hoops as they went from clue to clue to keep them together was the cutest thing ever), and the adults all ordered take out. Rain came on pretty hard at the end but it was so fun to chat more with a lot of our new neighbors one cul-de-sac over. They've been good friends for a long time and it's really fun to see. On Sunday Westin loved being outside with some friends during the afternoon, then to our back neighbor's house to play later. Bennett tags along but bounces in and out more from time with me to time with friends. Westin also rode 5 or 6 miles on an impromptu bike adventure on Friday when we loaded Bennett and Camden up in the trailer for the first time. We ended up at Jessup Farms where we'd gone on a date a couple weeks ago, to show the boys some chickens. Then we ordered pizza from a little Italian restaurant by the farm and ate it while we waited out another fast but strong rainstorm. Then we rode home and Westin just seemed so big! Grandma and Grandpa were going to come up on Friday to play one more day with us but Camden came down with a fever so they safely stayed at Katie's. Westin was really sad to not go on a bike date to Sprouts with grandpa, so I took him there Saturday morning. He was so happy walking around choosing his "one bad for you, one good for you" food. I try to not label foods as bad or good but Westin is just really into talking about what different foods do for your body and if I tell him something is a treat and not very nutritious then it's "a bad for you food" in his mind. He almost went with the gummy bears until he saw a package of candy corn and was over the moon. Whose kid is this. Then he chose some Pluots (plum/apricot fruit). Seriously thought... candy corn??? 

I almost forgot to mention he started school?? The first day was SO bad. So long. He hated it. I hated it. So long. So so long. Second day I just told him to hop on when he wanted and hop off when he wanted, and he did. Then Friday was only 45 minutes. My goodness, please please let's go back to school soon.

Bennett:
started school too! His preschool class is the cutest little group. He loved making a craft project self-portrait of himself. Though he kept calling it "my human" so I don't think he realized it was supposed to be him, I think he just thought he made a little person. We glued yarn on for hair, colored clothes, glued on googly eyes. And I'll be honest, I was taking a video of him to upload to his class app to show his teacher that he was working on his project, and right then Bennett colored a bunch of orange in the middle of his legs and said, "This is his penis!" So, I didn't send that video to his class. But yay for anatomically correct terms, right? He did the same thing with his self-portrait at the Cannon's house a few months back so I sent Shelley the video thinking she'd appreciate it more than Bennett's teacher :) We also rode bikes to the school on Friday to get school lunch, which I think we'll do one day a week for fun for the boys, and we saw Bennett's teacher outside. There are a few girls in our neighborhood that are prime babysitting age and they were so sweet with Bennett and Camden at our neighborhood party. We took some neighbors some cookies this afternoon and they had a golden retriever that burst out of the house and Bennett was in heaven. He played with the dog for over 10 minutes and you could tell he was so happy to see a new "Rosie" in his life.

Camden:
is being a little bum but we love him!! It's so hard to have patience when a fed, changed, played with kid who is being held is STILL crying. Why are you crying so much, bud! Westin did this same thing when he turned one. Honestly, with how much he looks and acts like Westin, I'm kind of terrified for when he turns three... am I allowed to say that. But we are in a much better place than then so at least there will be hope this time. I have to rescue Camden multiple times a night when he's screaming on his stomach. He won't roll back over, won't stop screaming if I just let him cry... it's an issue. Usually a 4-month issue but here we are at 13 and that's ok. :) He has started always saying "k" sounds when he sees Kitty, and he is giving such cute kisses lately. He loved his first bike trailer ride, but ONLY if we were moving. Even stopping to cross streets resulted in immediate screaming, followed by immediate happiness when the bike moved again. His helmet kept slipping down his face and at one point Michael looked back and it was fully in front of his face, little eyes peeking through the holes just staring, but he was happy as could be, because, moving. So funny. Bennett just rubbed Camden's head during the ride and it was so darn cute. He loves taking care of Camden.

Wednesday was a low point after realizing how long school would be, but we have come up with a few things to make our routine a little better and I think it's going to be good. The rest of the week was really great! We are loving it here.

Kitty lives outside SO much more during the day here and sleeps more during the night.
We don't miss you, Toby dog.

H
e

He scootches himself into this corner and then it looks like I'm forcing him to eat in time out.
So peaceful. When he's asleep :)


Outsourcing sandwich making.



Neighborhood first-day-of-school pic!


School doesn't start until 8:45 so mornings are usually breakfast with daddy, 
get ready, our two-mile walk, then log on for school.



Online preschool. Only 2020 could make that a real thing.
Westy has a permanent set up in our dining room so that he's good to go each morning.

Bennett started out here but does better on the floor with the iPad I think,
so we'll keep figuring it out.
Annnnnd this is how things went a little while later.
"School is in a building tomorrow, right mama?"
Broke. My. Heart.

These were results someone posted about advice for distance learning on Instagram and I related to this comment so, so much. Covid has been incredibly inconvenient countless times, but this week was the first time I felt really heartbroken about how far from normal things are.
Time to make a human!


Clear view of that orange... detailing that I mentioned.
Bennett is on much shorter than Wesitn is so he likes to find his way in here and color. 
I love that he hears the songs and things from Westin's class.

We took an alternate route to try and find this crane and we did!
The boys were soooo happy.
And then those kind, kind workers invited them over to check out the crane.
They were so, so excited. People are so nice.



When Bennett turned the corner and saw these chickens he said,
"Oh my gosh!"
And it was so funny. I've never heard him say that and his voice/phrasing was just so funny. He did not expect to walk up on this scene was super happy we did.
Next level pancakes on Saturday morning

I'm.... not getting as much painting done lately.
This stage is hard.

This isn't even my family.
I just love them and love that they are back in the Louisville temple district,
and I wanted to put this picture here this week.
And really they are my family.
Diggin' those holes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis