Monday, August 10, 2020

NoCo Hikes Begin

Michael:
had a good week at work. I asked him if 0 was immediately quitting and finding a new job because it was horrible and 10 was all he'd ever wanted after residency, where did things feel with his current set up. And he said it's a 10, and there's nothing he'd want to change. Oh man, all the searching and interviewing and weighing options and finding options, and all the years he worked, it was happy to hear that! I'm so grateful he had a family-friendly residency program and found a great job. Things work out step by step, day by day. It takes lots of work + faith, and both play huge roles. He's got a Fort Collins nursery on our Google Calendar for Wednesday... let the plant life begin. We also went on a hike together on Saturday at Dowdy Lake, in the Redfeather Lakes area. We love that we have huge to do lists full of hikes, restaurants, and things to see around town! Fort Collins has a lot going on and it's feeling like such a fun find of a city.

Maddie:
got the news this week that school is officially online and not part time, for at minimum the first quarter. That makes me sad for Westin. We haven't talked much about it, he knows coronavirus is changing things and that school is in the future and will be on the computer until "they find a shot that can make us better from the coronavirus", and he's doing well through it all. I'm bummed to not have more of a routine take shape with school, and to not have Westin meeting new friends and having that fun environment. But as we wrap up some painting projects (hoping to finish our living room/kitchen/entryway by next Sunday, which will allow us to unpack our last few boxes) I think it sounds fun to get into a schooling groove with Westin and Bennett. My wrist is worse than it's ever been, and I'm so sad it's not going to get better on its own.

Westin:
loves playing with our neighbors grandkids over our back fence, and loves helping me in the kitchen. He wants to make ratatouille after watching that movie, so we'll probably test that out this week. He's such a good big brother to Bennett. He would play Connect 4 all day every day if I could play Connect 4 all day every day. And if I only halfway play, he beats me. Let's be real, he beats me pretty often when I more than halfway play. I love his concentrating face. One of his prayers this week said, "thank you that we could move," and that made my heart burst. Even with all the busy grown up projects around, he's having fun here.

Bennett:
was in heaven when we ate dinner at a friend's house tonight -- Staci from Indiana. So funny that she knew Michael's family growing up. Her kids were so nice to Westin and Bennett. Soccer, running around, a golf cart ride, ice cream with sprinkles, and a fun low country boil for dinner. Bennett was super happy they had a dog to play with, too :) We're working hard on his counting, and on saying prayers by himself. I need to learn more how Bennett learns. He's a quick learner with all things physical -- potty training, balance biking, etc. I wouldn't call him fearless, but definitely courageous and natural with things like that. But I'm trying to figure out his learning style for letters and shapes and numbers and all that. He's all registered for school as well, which means that his Individual Education Plan will transfer from California and we should hopefully connect with a new speech therapist soon. I just hope it's not all online too, though I think it most likely will be.

Camden:
peed on me twice today, and he probably won't appreciate me leading with that when he scrolls through this someday. But seriously? He has gone weeks, months? without doing that and peed on me through two diaper changes today. Felt almost intentional. Probably because we do lots of more hands and knees time when we look at books and he's not a fan, so he's gotta communicate that how he can. Westin wasn't crawling at this age either. I think physical milestones are often more to do with personality than physical ability. He's such a cutie and has started giving the best kisses and hugs. Putting him down smiling and laughing for his naps is still my favorite part of each day. He's just so snuggly and sweet. He sleeps through the night 5 out of 7 nights, and eats once around my bedtime or super early morning the other couple nights. I think Toby the Dang German Shepherd was ruining our sleep more than I even realized. For four years. I'm more annoyed about it now than I ever was then. Except probably not -- I got pretty annoyed then too. Kitty lives a much happier life with way more outside time here. But then this week another cat came in our house and acted like she lived here too and that was a little wild. Bennett said, "Whoa, not my meow-meow!" when he discovered her. So, maybe Kitty's open door policy in the mornings needs to be changed.


Westin's basement restaurant serves lots of juice, macaroni and cheese, and all the other foods in the world. According to the imaginary menu that he read to me.
Right side cabinets done!



Right wall done! White and grey.
Now to find energy to do all I just did again, on the left side...
that's about a 12-hour process.
I'm actually not (super) sick of the painting, but I never want to use my sander again.
Brothers.

One of those mom moments... when you decided to be super awesome, and stop painting and make a fun "chef of the week" style snack. So I put peanut butter on celery, and gave them raisins and chocolate chips and pretzels to make butterflies. Then Bennett cried because the wings kept falling down and then he cried harder and harder about it until finally I went and hid in my room and he stopped crying and had fun because there wasn't a mom around to cry to. Sometimes the nature of the job just kinda stinks.
But he also spontaneously says "I love you, so much" over 10 times a day so it's for sure net positive overall.
Most days.
:)

Ugly bread again! Same ugliness! So, must be a high altitude deal.
Time to test some recipe tweaking.

Camden's room is my favorite room in the house because it's the only room that's 100% done.
He has the dresser and bookshelf I refinished in Indiana, our crib, our IKEA futon which I love the pattern of when it's folded up, and the mobile/wall hangings/art that I made in Indiana.
Michael pulled out this little fur rug he had from his souvenirs and I love that it makes a little reading corner.


Loving sprinkler time over the back fence. My neighbor sent me this picture.
Dowdy Lake



Ok Bennett, stop looking 14.
This was right before Camden ate rocks.
It's super annoying when kids don't want what you cook for dinner.
Because they willingly put fist fulls of rocks in their mouth.
I can't complain though, my kids are rock star dinner eaters.



Michael has an app that tells him what any plant or animal is.
He always says "Gotta catch 'em all" when he uses it.
It's Michael-style pokemon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis