Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Atlantic Seems Smaller...


One of my favorite things about living in a new place is seeing things from a different perspective. I love to see the London headlines, pick up an abandoned paper on the Tube, or even just catch a little bit of some British conversation. America is everywhere here, and I'm getting a better glimpse of the global influence my country has. The Presidential Inauguration was a perfect example of seeing just how closely the world's eyes are watching what's happening in the U.S. With the president changing (no, not our new president's reiterated version of the word--the actual change from Bush to Obama), the British news has been fascinating to follow. The ceremony took place at 5:00 pm here, so all the girls rushed home a little earlier than usual to have pizza and watch the broadcast. There was an interesting feeling in the centre as we all watched our nation's news through a foreign broadcast; I think we all realized there is more we miss in America than just our families and homes. By the end of the ceremony, I realized the significant memory I had just made. Sure, the British announcers kind of talked a lot, and yeah, I voted for the other guy -- but I'll definitely never forget where I watched the 2009 Presidential Inauguration, or how strongly I felt appreciation for the fact that America is my home.


NOTE: That picture wasn't actually taken in the Oval Office...and Obama is made of wax. But he IS sort of indirectly involved with the picture; it's in Madame Tussaud's wax museum, and all Americans were given free admission that day in honor of his inauguration. I guess Obama saved me 25 pounds his first day of being president! So far, so good. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis