Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Proud to be an American

Another late night of watching election results,
to add to my flashbulb memories of doing just that.

Last time around, I saw Obama inaugurated from across the pond, in London.

It gave me a patriotic homesickness that I had never experienced;
homesick for my country and grateful for it, too.

Results aren't quite in yet, but it's looking pretty clear by now.

I'm not going to talk about who I voted for or why.
But I will say that tomorrow I will pray for the safety of my president,
whoever he is.

Tomorrow I will pray that everyone, leaders and citizens,
will recommit to doing all they personally can to make America better.

Tomorrow I will remember how grateful I am for my right to vote.

I will remember how lucky it felt to watch two leaders discuss their visions for America,
both of them being free to do just that. Both of them safe after disagreeing.

There are so many places where that doesn't happen.

Facebook is filled with disappointed sentiments and plans to move right now.

But me, I'm staying. I believe in America and I know I'm lucky to be here.

I pray for my leaders, whether they had my vote or not.

We can get lost in differences, but right now more than ever is a time when we 
need to focus on what we all have in common, and what we all need.

So, here's to my hopes for the next four years and beyond:

Less hate. More individual responsibility. And lots more gratitude all around.

God bless the USA. I know He's had a lot of practice.

3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis