Monday, August 27, 2018

First Week of School

Michael:
had his first days off in two weeks so we were grateful for Saturday and Sunday. We ran away to Pismo Saturday in hopes of recreating our magical day there last August, when we saw tons of whales. But that was just another lesson to me on not having expectations -- no whales, crying from Bennett on the drive (normally they do so great on drives), lots of whining, slow day, clam chowder that just wasn't as magical as our last Splash experience, a stop at Avila beach that included lots of sand in eyes and more whining... guys, it just wasn't a win. But we did it and we tried! And the views were beautiful, and Westin woke up Sunday and said, "That was so fun we went to the ocean yesterday!" So at least he only remembers positives :) Michael mowed our lawn and went to an early stake meeting Sunday, and played with the boys so much this weekend. We love when daddy is home. On Friday we had a date set with some friends to go to the temple to the 6:00pm session. Michael has not been home before 6pm at all during this rotation, so I was anticipating possibly just showing up by myself. In the end we took separate cars and because of some stuff that came up with the kids, and stuff that came up at work, we both made it to the temple just 5 minutes before our session started. I had Michael's church clothes with me but he didn't even have time to change, and just went in Scrubs carrying all his things. We were quick though and barely made it to our session, and then had fun going to Cafe Rio with our friends after.

Maddie:
just feels like all of life's basics take so much time and energy lately. Each morning we fit in a walk, a workout, gardening, breakfast, The Friend, some chores, some tv time, some playing, getting ready, and then getting out the door. And right now waking up to that to do list has felt like so much. I need to start my day earlier and get some of it done before my kids wake up. Is that just always the goal but so hard to do? I think it will make a difference but it just feels so hard to actually do. My free time lately has been spent planning our upcoming trip, finishing up some cross stitch orders, researching how to best organize my photos and videos and decide what to do with my videos (advice??), and just trying to stay afloat around here! On Sunday night we had family home evening with friends so we could have a Temple Preview meeting with our primary's only 11-year-old this year. She is such a cute girl and I loved talking with her about the blessings that attending the temple can bring to your life. There are such awesome kids growing up right now.

Westin:
started school! He was so excited. We actually had a really hard day Tuesday morning before school started and I realized that I just overwhelmed him. For some reason he handled it all really well until I pulled out some new shoes for him (his old ones have holes in them so I thought it was high time to pull out the next size up I had grabbed on sale a while ago) and that was just the straw that broke the camel's back (which I didn't know was breaking, so it was all so sudden and random to me). He lost it and just wanted his old shoes and everything fell apart fast. I realized that between Back to School blessings, talking about school, trying to prep him in random ways, cutting his hair that day, getting a new lunch box and then new shoes, suddenly he just kind of hit his limit. I realized I was so excited for him that I had unintentionally stressed him out... but we figured it out and by the time it came to actually leave for school he was so excited again. He did great and loved it! Neither of us cried, we're just happy he gets to have such a good time two times a week. Tuesday is gym day for part of school and Thursday is music class for part. He already knew 3 little friends in his class and it sounds like he's having fun making more friends. His teachers are so sweet and he's going to love it.

My favorite random Westin quote this week came when we were driving Sunday night. Sometimes he builds a "phone" out of his legos (which is probably so sad) and he said, "Can you guys be quiet for a second? I need to make a call." Then he said, "Ok, hey. How are you. So, I'm just calling because, you're a firefighter. And I know you fight fires. But you need to come spray my house. It's kind of dirty outside and you should come spray it with your hose. How are you doing?"

He's so funny and we love him.

Bennett:
was so sad when we left Westin at school! I think he thought we just forgot him there or something. How do you explain drop off and pick up to a little guy? And he also really wanted Westin's backpack, so I put a little backpack on him that Grammy Sally gave him last year when we visited her house and he was SO happy. He has worn that backpack for almost all waking hours since we first dropped Westin off at school. He even cries when I won't let him sleep with it. Bennett is such a sweetheart and I love when he wakes up and carries all his blankets and stuffed animals. He tells me almost every time he goes potty so I think we need to think about potty training soon... yikes. Not mentally ready for that. Both times that we picked Westin up from School were so cute, because Bennett marches right into the room (the parents line up outside to pick up their kids) and hugs his brother and stands by him in line to leave. He's so sweet. He loves to wear hats or sunglasses (or backpacks) and he has the funniest little laugh. On Sunday morning he was so sad when daddy drove away after breakfast (for his church meeting) and I knew he was thinking he was going away all day for work. Then when daddy walked in the door two hours later, Bennett was SOO excited and kept yelling Dada over and over and just climbing all over Michael. I wish they could see him more during these days! But making the most of the time we do have is still really fun. 

This is also the first week that the 10-day forecast had no triple-digit days and we are feeling ACCOMPLISHED over here for conquering another Fresno summer. It was our best yet :)

FHE with Friends

Stake Conference

Avila Beach

Avila Beach

Temple Date night with the Wrights and Tuckers

Dinosaur Park at Pismo

Dinosaur Park at Pismo

Dinosaur Park at Pismo

Music Class

Meals with his Backpack

This face melts my heart

Watching this pup for a week. Her name is Sky and she's a sweet dog.

Backpack at Chick Fil A :)

Brothers


Driving those paint tape roads

Watching mom water plants is hard work. Usually they come inside and watch Daniel Tiger after while I workout.
They've got a rough life :)

Marci is still having a rough time adjusting to her new home, poor girl.

Westin and the ladies! I told him I didn't know any of the boys in his class, just some of the girls, and he said, "You know one boy's name though!" And I said, "Really? Who?" And he said, "Westin!" And I just laughed because he got me there.

Gym class at school

First day!





Seriously, I love his lunchbox. I want to pack my own lunch in it on the days he doesn't have school.


We walked to the fruit stand by our house and Westin picked out some plums and corn. He actually wanted to get the bag of eggplant but I don't know what to do with eggplant besides eggplant parmesan, which puts me at an eggplant quota of about 1 per year. So a bag of 6 overwhelmed me and I talked him into plums instead.

Coco and popcorn, Sunday night vibes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis